Monday, August 11, 2014

Setting up small shrimp aquarium

5.5 gallon Top Fin RCS tank with one guppy (LED light mod).
If you want to set up affordable shrimp tank, one of the best option is this TOP FIN brand 5.5 gallon starter kit ( often on sale for 19.99 at Petsmart). Its lighted hood is not durable or bright enough for planted tank... it only has very small incandescent lamp.... But it's so cheap!!! (This kit includes HOB filter, fish net, light hood and some foods)  I dropped the hood and bought several 5050SMD LED light strips to make LED lighting cover by hot gluing strips to the plexiglass plate.  To drive this LED light, you'll need a 12V power adapter.
You also need to get gravel or sand substrate. I love darker colored one, to contrast cherry shrimp color. To maximize small space in the tank, I added taiwan moss wall to the backside of the tank. Then I put about 20 shrimps at the beginning but they reproduced quickly so I removed all of adult females out. Still I have too many juvenile shrimps....

Moss wall backdrop in desktop tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment